Cradle to Cradle paves the way for the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
Troldtekt will participate as an introductory speaker when the consultancy Vugge til Vugge Danmark hosts a learning session at the Building Green Copenhagen 2019 event. Here you can learn more about how a Cradle to Cradle certification brings documentation into the way companies work towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The SDGs set the course towards a more sustainable development for both humans and the environment leading up to 2030. Throughout the world, organisations are working in line with the goals. And with the renowned Cradle to Cradle design concept, it’s possible to introduce a methodology to this work.
The above forms the basis of the learning session that the consultancy Vugge til Vugge Danmark will host at the Building Green event – the country’s leading trade event in sustainable construction. Troldtekt has been invited to speak at the session, which will alternate between presenting theories and examples. Our aim is to share our experiences with Cradle to Cradle as a strategic framework for sustainable action.
Building Green takes place on 30-31 October 2019 at Forum Copenhagen, and the Vugge til Vugge learning session will take place on the first day at 14.00.
Strict product requirements
Cradle to Cradle is a holistic system that ensures that materials have a positive impact on people, society and the environment. This approach goes hand in hand with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, explains Annette Hastrup. She is the CEO of Vugge til Vugge Danmark, which helps Danish companies achieve Cradle to Cradle certification.
– We have strict product requirements when doing assessments, from each material’s content to whether they are designed for recycling. Cradle to Cradle provides a recipe for designing, manufacturing and documenting products in line with 11 of the 17 SDGs, says Annette Hastrup.
– We hope that our learning session can help clarify the work with the SDGs for more companies, and we’re glad that Troldtekt have agreed to tell us about their experiences. They’re a good example of how medium-sized companies can work with circular economy and SDGs in a structured way, she continues.
Focusing on two particular goals
Troldtekt’s acoustic panels have been Cradle to Cradle-certified at Silver level since 2012. The certification works as a framework for our initiatives in areas such as material health, recycling and energy optimisation. And Cradle to Cradle furthermore helps us focus our attention on the two goals we have chosen to prioritise:
- SDG no. 12 regarding responsible consumption and production
- SDG no. 15 regarding life on land
– We recognise all 17 sustainable development goals, but as a medium-sized manufacturing company, we cannot address all 17 goals and 169 sub goals. Therefore, we’ve chosen to focus on the areas where we can make a difference while working in line with our Cradle to Cradle strategy. This includes, for example, initiatives within renewable energy and wood from responsible forestry operations, says Tina Kristensen, Head of Marketing and Communications at Troldtekt A/S.