Troldtekt A/S wins the DI Award for green transformation
A panel of experts chose Troldtekt as the winner of the prestigious DI Award 2020 in a strong field that also included FLSmidth and Berendsen. Troldtekt has received the DI Award for increasing its competitiveness through an ambitious green transformation based on the Cradle to Cradle concept.
For investing in green technology and full transparency about the impact of products on human health and the environment. These are two initiatives that have paved the way for the growth of Troldtekt A/S in recent years – and which have now resulted in being lauded with one of Denmark’s most prestigious business awards.
At the DI Business Summit on Tuesday, 29 September, HRH Crown Princess Mary presented this year’s DI Award to Peer Leth, CEO of Troldtekt.
“It’s a great day for Troldtekt and our 130 employees, all of whom are committed to living out the green transformation every day. The DI Award is a milestone in Troldtekt’s 165-year history,” says Peer Leth.
“I would also like to acknowledge that the panel of experts has chosen an SME as the winner of the 2020 DI Award. It underlines the fact that medium-sized manufacturing companies can also make a difference to the environment while strengthening their competitiveness,” he continues.
Panel of experts: An innovative business model
Against the backdrop of the coronavirus situation, the Confederation of Danish Industry chose to present this year’s award to a company that has taken an initiative which both contributes to the green transformation of society and increases the company’s competitiveness as a decisive step in emerging even stronger from the crisis.
The panel of experts praised Troldtekt’s green transformation for exemplifying an innovative business model with a global perspective:
“Troldtekt takes the entire value chain into account in the day-to-day work and prioritises keeping jobs in the local area. In addition, Troldtekt has succeeded in growing in a tough competitive market,” according to the panel, which includes Concito's Chair of the Board, Connie Hedegaard, former Environment Minister and European Commissioner for Climate Action.
Confederation of Danish Industry CEO Lars Sandahl Sørensen says:
“ Few companies have developed as significantly in a green direction as Troldtekt, which fully deserves the DI Award. Troldtekt is an excellent example of Denmark’s companies being a crucial part of the solution to the world’s environmental and climate problems,” says Lars Sandahl Sørensen, CEO of the Confederation of Danish Industry.
There is a need to think circularly
The framework for Troldtekt’s green transformation is a strategic focus on the sustainable Cradle to Cradle design concept. The transformation began in earnest exactly ten years ago when the company received the Danish Building Industry Environment Award.
“The award was visible proof that we can make a noticeable difference and was the starting point for integrating health and the environment throughout our business. Since then, we have invested tens of millions of dollars in energy-efficient technology and recycling systems. We find that this approach strengthens us significantly in the market,” says Peer Leth.
“Construction accounts for about 40% of the world’s resource consumption and a third of all waste in Denmark. There is therefore a need to produce sustainably and think in circular cycles where waste becomes a new resource. This is the core idea of Cradle to Cradle and thus also at Troldtekt,” he adds.
FACTS: Green transformation at Troldtekt
Since the implementation of the Cradle to Cradle strategy, Troldtekt has reached a number of milestones, including:
- Basing production on renewable energy (100% wind power and biofuels from our own boiler) and reduced energy consumption per unit by 20.9% over the past two years.
- In connection with the Cradle to Cradle certification, ingredients in Troldtekt acoustic panels have been identified all the way down to 100 parts per million. This means that it has been established that the panels contain no substances that are harmful to human health or the environment.
- Achieving FSC® (FSC®C115450) and PEFCTM certification, which means that all Troldtekt acoustic panels are certified to leading standards for responsible forestry. And participation in the joint ‘call for action’ with FSC Denmark about the need for more FSC-certified forests in Denmark.
- Partnering with Aalborg Portland, which uses waste (dust) from the production of Troldtekt in the production of new cement.
- Participation in forums and networks that help to promote the circular economy in construction – in Denmark, Sweden and Germany.
With a strategy rooted in the Cradle to Cradle principles, it has been natural for Troldtekt to focus on four of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (Goals 3, 12, 15 and 17). Since 2010, the company has also been affiliated with the UN Global Compact and annually reported its responsible progress. The latest CSR report (for 2019) has just been selected by Global Compact Network Denmark for SMV COP 2020, which highlights the top five CSR reports from Danish SMEs – read more about it here.
FACTS: About the DI Award
- Each year, the DI Award is presented to a member company that has made a special contribution to a topic of relevance to the business community and society.
- The award is about sharing success stories and being an inspiration to other companies.
- This year’s panel of experts is made up of Anne-Marie Levy Rasmussen (CEO, Innovation Fund Denmark), Connie Hedegaard (Chair of the Board, Concito), Finn Mortensen (Executive Director, State of Green) and Henrik D. H. Müller (Head of the Secretariat for Climate and Green Conversion in the City of Aarhus).
Read more about the DI Award and watch a video with Troldtekt and Peer Leth on the Confederation of Danish Industry website.
Peer Leth, CEO, Troldtekt A/S: +45 8747 8130 // email@example.com
Tina Snedker Kristensen, Head of Marketing and Communications, Troldtekt A/S: +45 8747 8124 // firstname.lastname@example.org