Modern and refined science wing
Espergærde Gymnasium has a new large extension – representing an elegant reinterpretation of the original architecture while at the same time setting a new direction.
In the late 1970s, the original Helsingør Gymnasium, whose history dated back to 1439, had outgrown its premises, and a decision was therefore made to move the college to nearby Espergærde, changing its name to Espergærde Gymnasium in the process. Espergærde Gymnasium thus goes back an incredibly long way, while the buildings very much reflect the era in which they were built.
The firm of architects Mangor & Nagel designed the first Espergærde Gymnasium – and is also behind the latest extension. The architectural cohesion between the buildings is ensured through a consistent focus on material robustness and the rhythm of the facade elements. The new extension, which is connected to the main school building, overlooks the playing fields and houses four science classrooms and an auditorium.
Beautifully balanced materials
The classrooms are placed at the front, while the auditorium is located at the heart of the extension. The walls are predominantly made of raw concrete, which is accentuated by large, white windows. Some of the walls in the auditorium are clad in wooden strips while others are simply white, which gives the room its own distinct identity.
Troldtekt line design in natural wood is used throughout and also in the auditorium. The dynamic feel of the ceiling and the wood colour contrast beautifully with the concrete.
The precision of the lines and the varying patterns are also ideally suited to counterbalance the raw walls. Another nice touch is the use of Troldtekt in the auditorium, where Troldtekt line design is used on both the walls and ceilings, and gives the room a warm and friendly atmosphere.