Full transparency: Troldtekt ready with more EPDs
Consultants and developers can now download new environmental product declarations (EPDs) for 12 different Troldtekt cement-bonded wood wool products. The EPDs document the environmental impact throughout the entire life cycle of the acoustic panels. The new versions also take into account the thickness of the panels and thus their density.
With a series of new EPDs, it has become even easier to get an overview of the total environmental footprint of Troldtekt acoustic panels, regardless of which product you choose. This is very useful for consultants and developers who, for example, want to certify the sustainability of a building.
In early 2021, Troldtekt released five new EPDs, and transparency has now been further increased so that EPDs are now available for a total of 12 Troldtekt products. The different EPDs take into account:
- the thickness of the acoustic panels (25 or 35 mm)
- which cement has been used in the panels (white or grey)
- whether the panels are painted or unpainted
- whether the panels are non-flammable A2 panels
All 12 EPDs have been verified and published by the German Institut Bauen und Umwelt e.V. (IBU).
New versions take density into account
“The biggest difference in the latest versions is that they take into account the density of the panels. In the classic acoustic panels, the density varies, depending on whether the panel is 25 mm or 35 mm thick. Therefore, I’m delighted that we now have separate EPDs for the different panel thicknesses, which means that the figures for the environmental impact accurately reflect the chosen product,” says Vibeke Pedersen, technical manager at Troldtekt A/S.
The density only varies in the classic Troldtekt acoustic panels, whereas it is the same in the non-flammable A2 panels, whether they are 25 mm or 35 mm thick.
The EPDs also cover Troldtekt’s award-winning series of design solutions. The design solutions are 35 mm thick, and can now also be supplied as A2 panels.
More data than mandatory
The environmental impact of the raw materials, transport, production, use, disposal and the potential for recycling are reflected in the life cycle analysis on which Troldtekt’s EPDs are based. Accordingly, the EPDs are a useful tool for consultants and developers when gathering and assessing documentation about building materials.
“Transparency is crucial for us when making EPDs available. This is why we have separate EPDs for our various products rather than just calculating average values. The assessments of our products’ life cycles therefore contain data on more phases than are mandatory for EPDs,” says Vibeke Pedersen.
From February 2022, Troldtekt can supply acoustic panels based on the greener cement type FUTURECEM ™, and which have a negative carbon footprint in the A1-A3 EPD stages (raw material supply, transport, manufacturing of products). This means that the panels absorb more CO2 than they emit in these phases.
Troldtekt panels based on FUTURECEM are not covered by the 12 new EPDs, but will have their own separate EPDs.
FACTS: Here are Troldtekt’s EPDs
Troldtekt has prepared and third party-verified a total of 12 product-specific EPDs:
Acoustic panels – 25 mm thick:
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 25 mm natural grey – unpainted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 25 mm natural grey – painted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 25 mm natural wood – unpainted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 25 mm natural wood – painted
Acoustic panels – 35 mm thick (including Troldtekt design solutions)
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 35 mm natural grey – unpainted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 35 mm natural grey – painted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 35 mm natural wood – unpainted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel 35 mm natural wood – painted
Acoustic panels – A2 (non-flammable)
- Troldtekt acoustic panel A2 natural grey – unpainted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel A2 natural grey – painted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel A2 natural wood – unpainted
- Troldtekt acoustic panel A2 natural wood – painted